Sep 20, 2014

Quote-ivation: On Typhoons, Consideration, and Growing Up


Yesterday, the Philippines was hit yet again by a typhoon which caused wide-spread flooding in Metro Manila and most North provinces. I was honestly surprised that a typhoon with a path so far up North could affect MM that way. The rains were being compared to Ondoy, the one that sank a lot of parts of the Metro and caused havoc that shocked everyone with its unexpected quality.



Back when I was a kid, I used to love typhoons. For a gradeschooler, they meant no classes, no homework, and no worries. They meant warm blankets in a safe, dry, and warm house with people who'll take care of you and who'll do all the worrying for you.

Now, when I'm older, it's no longer like that. Typhoons mean sunken houses, displaced citizens, damaged architecture, interrupted routine, and scarce provisions. Personally, typhoons mean that I'll have to stock up on food and water before the streets get flooded, to charge my electronics before the power goes out. Once the rainy season starts in the Philippines, I have to constantly be aware of the weather reports, of whether there's a typhoon coming, so that I can prepare adequately. No one would be there to do the groceries for me, to check the windows and doors for security against the wind.

But I'm still lucky. I have a safe, dry, warm place to spend the day in while the typhoon rages outside. I can sleep peacefully knowing that the rain won't drive me out of my house. Not all people can have that luxury.

So the next time a typhoon comes, don't rejoice because there would be no classes or work. It's not just you in this city; think of others, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...