Nov 1, 2014

Happy Halloween!

It's been a while on this blog. It's good to be back.

It's November 1 here in the Philippines, so many people in the cemeteries, so many people travelling to the provinces.

Aside from the customary cemetery visit, let me share with you my "traditions" during Halloween (some of them are so new I've only started doing them this year. *laughs*):

Watch Halloween Movies
Ah, my childhood. Every Halloween (my favorite holiday even against Christmas), I make it a point to watch at least one movie I've watched during childhood. I watched two this year:

 
The Halloween Tree: my absolute favorite! Halloween for me is this movie. Read the book, as well, for the full effect ;)


You can't go wrong with Alvin and the Chipmunks. Who else wanted that Monster Book of Monster Facts when they were a kid?

Some other movies on my list (can you tell that I'm a 90's kid?):
 
Do you remember how bad-ass you felt singing along the songs in these?

Light a Candle
You know what they say about lighting candles, jack-o-lanterns, and whatnot during Halloween. Aside from the symbolic light to the dead, it gives the Halloween vibe, especially in a tropical country where there's no Fall/Autumn.

Also, if your candle is scented, it adds to the ambiance and the sensory memory - you'll connect the candle scent to Halloween/Fall, especially if you only burn the candle during this time of the year.



Meditate/Pray
Another purpose of the candle is for meditation. Ambiance plus a focal point makes the candle useful. Turn off the lights and just have candles burning (be careful of fires, of course) and tune out, count your breaths, your heartbeat, or say prayers. Bottom line: have silence, focus, and peace.

Read About Various Halloween Traditions
Halloween is celebrated very differently at different locations in the world. Probably the most famous are the U.S., Mexico, and Ireland. Reading about these other Halloween traditions just brings forward what the event stands for past the parties and the trick-or-treating.


What did you do this Halloween?
(movie images from IMDb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...