Aug 10, 2014

June 2014 BMM Log

I’m back!
Things have been pretty hectic lately but I’m here now. Here’s my June 2014 books, music, and movies favorites.
.
Books
image image
Welcome to Hoxford. I saw the cover in a bookshop and was immediately interested. Judging from the cover, this isn’t for the faint of heart. The graphics are superb - they’re done by Ben Templesmith. This comic prompted me to look for other graphic novels done by Templesmith, leading me to…

Fell. This is, handsdown, my all-time favorite graphic novel (even surpassing The Sandman by Neil Gaiman (!!) by a tiny margin). I’ve reread Fell countless times, and I’m hoping the continuation of the series would be back in production.
.
Movies
Pirates of the Caribbean movie.jpg Theatrical release poster A brown haired boy, holding a helmet by his side, his friends and a black dragon behind him. Dragons are flying overhead. KamisamaKiss1.jpg The Originals intertitle.png Dthree the mighty ducks.jpg Haikyū Volume 1.jpg
.
Pirates of the Carribean 1-4. I rewatched the whole film franchise and discovered the very rich pirate folklore in their world. The thing which really gets me is the song in the opening of the third(?) movie (“…the king and his men stole the queen from her bed…”), how it reverberated in the coin, and how this set off the entire pirate lords meeting. I’m a sucker for supernatural/fantasy/folklore elements like that. The entire pirate world is also very cohesive and complex. 
Too bad Keira and Orlando weren’t in the fourth movie, but, oh well. Do you think Will Turner got released from his duty because Elizabeth remained faithful to him? I like to think so.
300: Rise of an Empire. I watched the first 300 movie and got hooked by the quotable quotes and the astig (bad-ass) characters (Spartan pride and all). Rise of an Empire focuses on the Athenian general and the Persian (but Greek-blooded) female general. I had high hopes for Artemisia but I was disappointed. Sure, she was an excellent general, but despite all her skills, she was still looking for a partner. It’s like saying women desire marriage above all else. No.
How to Train Your Dragon 2. A good Father’s Day movie (if only because of what happened to Stoic). Hiccup became hot, Toothless’ fight with the alpha was extremely bad-ass, and I was spazzing in the theater with excitement.
Kamisama Hajimemashita. I watched the anime and then read the manga (from start to the current volume). I like the anime better, and I like the first couple of episodes better than the last. Why do pure-hearted characters have to be so typically weak, clumsy, and stupid? Can’t you have a pure heart but still be smart? Someone point me to a manga with that character.
The Originals. Haylijah FTW! Enough said.
D3: The Mighty Ducks. The second movie is definitely my favorite. This one the least. Charlie, really, what happened to you?
Haikyuu!!. My current anime obsession. The opening and closing songs of the first episodes could be my exercise track. It fires up the blood and makes you wanna move. And the characters’ enthusiasm rubs off on me. I watch this when I want the energy to get something done. Like homework.
.
Music


"My Jolly Sailor Bold" and "Hoist the Colors" from Pirates of the Caribbean. 

"It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" from Grey’s AnatomyI’m not watching Grey’s Anatomy right now. So many episodes. I’m currently just starting Season 4(?).
(all images from Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...